Verdance Design Group seeks an enthusiastic future practitioner committed to gaining practical, educational, relevant, and enjoyable experience in the field of residential landscape design.
Our ideal candidate is considering a career as a landscape designer or design/build contractor, but is not currently practicing landscape design. You possess at least a basic theoretical understanding of landscape design principles and plan drafting, either freehand or with CAD software. You have at least a basic knowledge of horticulture and regionally appropriate plants. You are professional in demeanor, communicate clearly both visually and verbally, and can demonstrate creativity, initiative, organization, attention to detail, and effective time management.
Responsibilities: The intern will work closely with the firm's principal to become familiar with all facets of the residential landscape design business, including:
- Design concept development, evaluation and production
- Implemention of the landscape design
- Interaction with clients, vendors and associates
- Business administration, marketing, finance and management
1. Understand and effectively participate in the firm’s design process:
- Develop a basic design program
- Measure, map, and analyze a residential site
- Draft a scaled base plan, by hand and/or using CAD software
- Explore and evaluate design concepts
- Prepare a rough planting plan, including schedule of plant materials
- Identify and evaluate potential resources, e.g. materials, fixtures, amenities and/or plants, relevant to the design concept
- Procure plants and amenities necessary for a project
- Observe project installation
- Document installed landscapes
- Organize the office resource library
- Create database(s) of plants, materials and amenities
- Participate in the firm’s bookkeeping
- Write or edit “white papers,” online articles, and other publications
- Evolve and enhance the firm’s internship program
Success in these endeavors will relate directly to your initiative and creativity. You will be expected to inform the firm's principal of any needs, interests or expectations not being met during the program.
Length of Program: The internship will consist of approximately 120–150 hours over a three-month period, with the opportunity for an extension if mutually agreeable. A specific work schedule will be co-determined by the intern and the firm’s principal.
Evaluation: Your performance will be evaluated relative to goals established mutually by you and the firm’s principal at the commencement of the internship. The intern is strongly encouraged to keep a journal, scrapbook, or other record to assist in documenting and evaluating the experience. The firm may, upon the intern’s request, discuss and/or prepare a summary of the intern’s performance for academic credit. Because neither the firm nor its principal is licensed to practice landscape architecture, this internship is not eligible for training credit toward the Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE).
Location and Travel: You will work regularly at the firm’s office at 616 Ramona Street, Palo Alto, CA. Occasionally you may be asked to travel either with the firm’s principal or independently to other locations for meetings, seminars, vendors, or other purposes. You will use your own transportation and must possess liability insurance and a clean driving record.
Compensation: The intern will be compensated at the rate of $14 per hour, paid semi-monthly, and subject to applicable federal, state, and local withholding. The intern will not receive insurance benefits, allowance for travel or meals, or other regular compensation. Out-of-pocket expenses may be reimbursed with prior approval by the firm’s principal.
Future Employment: Although a successful intern is encouraged to remain in contact with the firm, the firm can make no promise of employment beyond the term of the internship.
About Verdance Design Group: Verdance Design Group creates beautifully functional spaces that inspire life throughout Silicon Valley and beyond. With thoughtful attention to detail in both our process and our product, we seek to honor our environment as we delight our clients. Our designs consistently earn industry awards for their imaginative yet practical solutions; and our approach consistently earns client praise. The firm's principal, John Black, is a member of the Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD); the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA); and the California Landscape Contractors Association (CLCA). Our web site is www.verdancedesign.com.
Application: You will be expected to provide a résumé, three samples of your landscape design work (student projects are acceptable), and one sample of your best writing. To be considered for this internship or for more information, you may use this form or email firstname.lastname@example.org.